Group Finance Manager Job Opening
Group Finance Manager
Microsoft• Fargo, North Dakota
If you are looking for big business and finance challenges, an opportunity to have an impact on the future of artificial intelligence and cloud computing and a place to grow your career, all while having fun in the process, this role in Microsoft’s Cloud + Artificial Intelligence (C+AI) Controller Team is for you.
The Cloud and Artificial Intelligence (AI) Controller Team is seeking a highly motivated, collaborative and experienced finance and/or accounting professional with strong leadership skills and vision to lead monthly rhythms and controls, understand and articulate financial results, implement accounting policy, and develop and execute on a vision to evolve processes to scale with the growth and complexity of the business. This role plays a critical part in the future of Microsoft’s cloud and artificial intelligence strategy!
This role will focus on leading a small team in Fargo and Japan with focus on enabling complex and significant initiatives within Microsoft’s Cloud and AI business, with heavy focus on partnerships in Cloud Operations and Infrastructure (CO&I). CO&I is an exciting and fast evolving cloud computing infrastructure division within Microsoft responsible for delivering Microsoft’s online infrastructure services including datacenter build, lease and operations, networking, bandwidth, security, and incident management. CO&I supports over 200 online services including Bing, MSN, Office 365, Xbox Live, Skype, OneDrive and Microsoft Azure. Our infrastructure is comprised of datacenters running servers connected via a network spread globally, and applications that reach hundreds of millions of users every day.
- Lead a small team who provide accounting oversight, guidance, controls, insight, and execution for MCIO’s global business operations.
- Maintain strong relationships across Finance partners and C+AI to gain deep knowledge of the business. Become a trusted advisor for accounting support excellence. Educate on accounting processes and policy.
- Identify & monitor transactions, activities or initiatives and provide accounting guidance or scrutiny as needed. Perform review of significant transactions, initiatives or strategies and oversight that accounting treatment is consistent with Microsoft accounting policies & GAAP. Determine the execution plan and oversee operationalization of transactions or initiatives.
- Participate in the engagement with Corporate Accounting and partner with other groups including Finance, Tax, Treasury, CELA & International Controllers to socialize and agree accounting treatment and execution.
- Lead the monthly accounting close rhythm for CO&I ensuring timely, complete and accurate recording of transactions for CO&I datacenters and other sites globally.
- Partner with offsite resources to deliver accounting services, including journal and reconciliation preparation, reviews and approvals. Seek opportunities to standardize and transition recurring accounting work to the offsite team. Assess capabilities and resources of the offsite team as business volumes grow.
- Partner with RE&F, Corp Lease team, Finance & CO&I to establish scalable and efficient processes and controls for datacenter and bandwidth lease administration, accounting and reporting.
- Oversee preparation, analysis and review of the CO&I Balance Sheet ensuring risks are identified, communicated and managed appropriately.
- Partner with Controls & Compliance to document, test & monitor SOX controls compliance across MCIO’s accounting functions.
- A minimum of 8 years of accounting, including strong international and US GAAP accounting experience.
- Experience leading a team responsible for managing an accounting close cycle or financial analysis.
- BS/BA degree in Finance, Accounting or MBA. CPA or CA preferred.
- Advanced understanding of Sarbanes-Oxley, US GAAP and International accounting.
- Excellent cross group collaboration skills including the ability to communicate with executive management.
- Strong analytical focus and strategic vision.
- Ability to influence and impact without authority, and solve difficult problems, combined with the ability to prioritize and function well in a dynamic and operational environment.
- Show propensity for learning, and demonstrate ability to identify, analyze, interpret, and deliver sound solutions.
- Willingness and desire to understand technical requirements, processes & systems critical to our Online Operations.