General Manager Job Opening
Bodine Weavertown Univar• Carnegie, Pennsylvania
Category: Accounting Manager
Weavertown Environmental Group & Bodine Services of the Midwest (Divisions of Univar Solutions) is currently searching for a General Manager to lead these businesses. This position will be responsible for maintaining safe, legal, efficient, environmentally sound and economical operations activities of the branches in these regions. Provide direct support and oversight to Branch Operations Supervisors, Field Services Managers and Project Managers. Provide functional guidance in operating matters to the Operations Staff, and assistance as needed in sales and purchasing activities.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Formulate and submit for approval by Director of Operations both long and short term operating programs and plans, including fixed asset investment budget on fiscal year basis.
- Recommend new or improved policies, procedures, safety standards, methods and equipment within the scope of his/her responsibilities.
- Work with and advise Logistics Managers on facilitation and internal and external logistics recommendations.
- Recommend and approve specifications and capital expenditure request of operating equipment and containers to Director of Operations.
- Visit off-site locations at regular intervals to review the operational activities and equipment; and implement or recommend/report the changes or corrections needed.
- Coordinate efforts and seek guidance from corporate in overseeing and managing facilities environmental site investigations and corrective actions.
- Keep Director of Operations informed of environmental site investigative work and corrective action progress.
- Monitor compliance with OSHA, EPA, DOT, and other Federal, State and Local regulations. Ensure required permits and reports are timely and in order. Conduct routine safety audits at regular intervals.
- Support and participate in the Quality Process in the region.
- Support and act as liaison with other Univar subsidiaries.
- Conduct training programs and systems for regulatory requirements and for development of personnel at all operating levels.
- Coordinate efforts with and seek guidance from Corporate Operations to optimize, correlate, and standardize operations throughout the Company.
- Be responsible for the organization and supervision of competent staff in Operations, to develop new facilities procedures and methods that will improve and increase the efficiency of branches, and improve the profitability of operations and distribution.
- Make personal visits to each branch periodically to get first-hand information about their problems, help in working out solutions, and to report to the Director of Operations, recommendations in the improvement of their operations.
- See that the branches are given whatever assistance is needed to develop, improve or renovate their facilities.
- Constantly observe that all Company Operations policies and procedures are followed.
- Recommend new or improved environmental safeguards, operations policies, procedures, and methods, adapted to locate conditions, within the framework of Company policies.
- See that this area of responsibility is efficiently staffed, organized, trained and assigned for best results.
- Help and advise all branches to be operated at the lowest cost commensurate with good service to customers.
- Supervise procurement of all major items and capital expense equipment.
- Be responsible for planning, upgrading and establishing uniformity in operations.
- Oversee training and functions of Branch Operations Supervisors, Field Services Managers, and Project Managers and ensure that required training schedules are met.
- Maintain and monitor, in conjunction with Corporate and Branch staff, the drivers DOT qualifications files along with fleet safety and accident records.
- Take part in labor relations concerns to include investigations and performance reviews as needed.
- Be able to act as a representative of the company in an emergency situation.
- Provide input to other managers in an emergency response team.
- Approve product codes specific to each location for bulk and repackaged products.
- Represent UNIVAR in community affair situations.
- Pro-actively removes barriers preventing employees from succeeding.
- Must be able to work under company policies where experience and independent judgment are needed.
- Must be able to establish and control short and long-range plans.
- Must have extensive knowledge of the company’s sales activities, warehousing, accounting, credit, personnel management, transportation and an understanding of how to handle emergency situations.
- Should be familiar with local, state and federal business laws as they apply to our operations.
- Must be able to motivate and secure the confidence of others.
- Must have tact, understanding, and initiative.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills in coaching, and team building with all levels of people in the organization.
- Able to read, understand and interpret Profit and Loss spreadsheets.
- College degree or equivalent business experience.
- 5 to 7 years of proven experience within an Environmental and Waste Transportation company.
Physical Demands/Environmental Conditions:
- Office and plant environment.
- Ability to respond to emergency response situations.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions
- Ability to respond to emergencies and direct Emergency Response Teams
- Ability to work varying and extended hours