Business Development Manager Job Opening
Business Development Manager
Southwest Generation Operating Company• Denver, Colorado
The Business Development Manager will act as the internal deal team leader and will manage acquisition processes for large gas fired power plants from initial screening to closing. This person will coordinate cross functional teams through bilateral as well as auction processes, with primary responsibility for modeling and financial/analytical analysis, including overseeing Analysts in the preparation of detailed deal valuation models. This person will be heavily involved in commercial diligence including forming views of the impact of power markets and regulatory dynamics on valuations. The Business Development Manager will also support the evaluation of a range of internal growth initiatives including IFOM battery storage. Reports to the Vice President of Business Development and will work closely with other departments in the organization including Finance on project financings and Asset Management on optimization initiatives.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the cross functional due diligence of gas fired acquisition targets and other internal growth initiatives including IFOM battery storage.
- Set timelines and work with internal teams to bring together all aspects of diligence from financial, commercial, operational/technical, power markets, to legal/regulatory.
- Oversee Financial Analysts and independently develop Excel models and financial analysis of growth targets; includes screening level evaluations to detailed transaction proformas.
- Responsible for the validation of all forecast assumptions, working with internal teams to prepare detailed project revenue, cost, and capex forecasts.
- Engage in power markets and regulatory climate research to support the value of an acquisition target.
- Prepare investment memos that cover all aspects of a deal from the investment thesis, to key risks and mitigants, power markets research, diligence summaries, and financial metrics.
- Assist the VP of Finance with project financings for acquisition targets, including creating lender models, ratings agency presentations, and coordinating lender due diligence.
- Assist the with the evaluation of other potential strategic growth initiatives outside gas fired acquisitions including IFOM battery storage
- Work with peers at sell-side and buy-side investment banking advisors on Q&A and other diligence requests to ensure smooth processes.
- Work under limited supervision.
- Independently prioritizes and executes responsibilities.
Education & Experience:
- 5+ years experience in investment banking, project finance, or M&A in power, electric utilities or renewables at a leading bank, IPP, private equity, or other similar institution.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent quantitative skills and extensive experience in creation of sophisticated Excel based models including financial statement models, valuations, and LBO models.
- Strong understanding of US power markets and experience working with market consultants.
- Strategically minded with the ability to triage investment opportunities and other growth initiatives.
- Ability to work under strict deadlines and the ability to work on multiple projects concurrently.
- A can-do attitude and a willingness to wear multiple hats in a small organization.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; experience communicating with Sr. level management.
- Maintain the highest standards of conduct and integrity in all dealings with or on behalf of SWG at all levels inside and outside the organization.
- The job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones and filing cabinets.
- Some travel is expected for this position
Must be able to accomplish physical requirements with or without reasonable accommodation.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. Vision abilities required by the job include close vision and distance vision.
Southwest Generation is an Affirmative Action Employer, Females/Minority/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.