Accountant Job Opening
Gannett• McLean, Virginia
Staff Accountant- Corporate Accounting
Gannett has an immediate need for an experienced Staff Accountant at its Tyson’s Corner headquarters office. The Staff Accountant will report to the Associate Manager of Accounting and will be a member of the General Ledger team responsible for all aspects of the general ledger and other accounting activities.Responsibilities also include ensuring that deadlines are met and work is completed in a timely and accurate manner. The Staff Accountant will also take a proactive role in identifying opportunities to improve processes, develop and maintain effective controls and procedures.
In this role, you will:
- Understand underlying businesses and related processes as foundation for responsibilities.
- Assist with accurate and timely reporting of functional business units’ financials.
- Perform monthly and quarterly event expense and revenue accounting close procedures including journal entry preparation, account reconciliation, analysis and reporting.
- Analyze and reconcile various general ledger accounts. Investigate and clear reconciling items on a timely basis for all assigned accounts.
- Assist with the review of contracts, order forms, invoices and statements of work to identify appropriate event expense and revenue recognition issues.
- Assist with financial analysis as well as ensure appropriate accounting for new business models and significant contracts.
- Support Associate Manager with various process improvement projects, including but not limited to, the implementation of policies, procedures, and controls.
- Provide assistance with internal and external audit requirements as needed.
- Assist in special projects.
Here’s what you need:
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting.
- 2+ years of accounting experience.
- CPA, or CPA candidate, preferred.
- Strong computer skills including Excel, good word processing skills, and prior experience with general ledger software.
- Must have ability to Communicate Effectively with all levels of an organization.
- Exceptional analytical skills, excellent problem-solving skills, organizational savvy, high energy, strong initiative and the ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Able to manage a high volume of transactions timely and accurately.
- Flexibility and team loyalty.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a leading international, multi-platform news and information company that delivers high-quality, trusted content where and when consumers want to engage with it on virtually any device or platform. Our operations currently comprise 112 daily publications and related digital platforms in the U.S. and U.K., more than 400 non-daily local publications in the U.S. and more than 150 such titles in the U.K. Our daily publications include USA TODAY.
We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will
consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin,
sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family
responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran
Job Type: Full-time
- Journal Entries: 1 year (Required)
- accounting: 1 year (Required)
- Bachelor's (Required)
- McLean, VA (Required)