BURSAR – STUDENT ACCOUNTS Job Opening
BURSAR – STUDENT ACCOUNTS
Lafayette College• Easton, Pennsylvania
The Bursar, reporting to the Assistant Vice President and Controller, is responsible for the overall operation and management of the student accounts function. The manager ensures the integrity, accuracy, confidentiality and maintenance of student financial records in compliance with all state and federal regulations. The position works closely with the Registrar, Financial Aid Office, and Campus Life.
Areas of responsibility include responding to all inquiries during internal and external audits, student billing, collections, payment plans, third party contracts, and disbursement of federal funds and the student refunds process. The Manager oversees the accounts receivable portfolio of active and inactive students and periodically reviews student records to ensure files contain current and accurate student data. The Manager works with students and families to develop custom payment plans that take into account student and family ability to meet their financial obligations to the College. The position requires superior customer service skills during frequent interactions with students and families. The Manager provides departmental leadership and guidance while managing department staff.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Customer Service – Counsels students and parents regarding accounts receivable, financial planning, aid eligibility, and ensures that all students (new, re- admits, and continuing) are fully aware of their financial obligations, as well as the appropriate financial resources and options available to
- Billing and Collections – Manages the process of billing, collections, and loan disbursement activities. Selects and works with outside collection agencies concerning student account assignment, loan placements and implementing collection strategies
- Account Reconciliation and Analysis – Performs daily, weekly, and monthly accounts receivable, cash receipt, and student refund reconciliations with the Touchnet and Ellucian Banner billing
- Government Report and Compliance – Ensures that federal, state, and other reporting requirements are completed timely, including the A133 audit, FISAP, and other mandatory
- Taxation – Prepares quarterly and year-end financial reports and tax forms as required.
- Business Process Improvement – Introduces and maintains solutions to improve and streamline the effectiveness and efficiency of the Student Accounts
- College Community Assistance – Represents the College on institutional committees; and in coordination with other Financial Affairs personnel, serves as a point of contact for independent
- Office Supervision – Hires, trains, supervises, and provides leadership to Student Accounts office personnel.
- Special Projects – Performs all other duties and projects as
Experience and Education
The Manager must consistently demonstrate a high degree of ethics, integrity and honesty. Required qualifications include bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Management field and a minimum of five years of experience in a Student Accounts/Bursar office setting with extensive knowledge of Title IV cash management regulations, administering federal and state aid programs, and an understanding of NCAA regulations. This position requires strong analytical skills to gather and evaluate data from a variety of sources, draw conclusions, and make recommendations. Must also possess superior customer service skills, particularly interacting with students and families, many of whom have limited financial resources. Above all else must demonstrate a high degree of ethics, integrity, honesty and respect for confidential information.
In addition to the above, the position requires excellent project management skills; including planning, establishment of objectives, procedures and standards in order to develop and maintain records in a clear and logical manner. Demonstrated management and supervisory skills that include hiring, training, evaluating, motivating, coaching and developing staff.
Preferred qualifications include a Master’s degree in Accounting or Management field, previous experience with Banner Finance, and above average skills with Microsoft Office applications.
Please provide cover letter, resume, and contact information or letters of recommendation for three references via Interfolio at http://apply.interfolio.com/63645