CAS Accountant Job Opening
Alabama Farmer's Cooperative• Decatur, Alabama
Alabama Farmers Cooperative, Inc. has an immediate opening for an Accountant with some experience to work in our Cooperative Accounting Services Department. The person that fills this role will need a strong understanding of accounting principles and attention to detail.
To ensure that accurate financials are produced for Cooperative stores and accurate files are maintained to support them.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Customer Service Oriented – Serve cooperative stores, assist store managers, and bookkeepers to resolve accounting issues
- Maintain at least 6 store General Ledgers - Record daily, monthly, & annual entries as needed
- Cash Management – Post daily deposits/withdrawals, invest excess cash or fund accounts as needed, reconcile monthly bank statements & document file
- Payroll – Fund & post entries, reconcile at month-end
- Accounts Payable – Invoice entry, maintain records
- Fixed Assets – Post monthly depreciation, including additions/deletions, reconcile & file backup
- Purchase Order Variance/Accrual - Reconcile
- Review expenses & post monthly accruals
- Sales Taxes – Print reports, reconcile, e-file monthly
- Financials – Produce & print monthly financials for each store
- Annual 1099 Filings – Enter, reconcile, & submit to the IRS
- Assist other CAS staff as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Prompt and regular attendance is essential
- Some overtime may be required
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree - Accounting
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Computer keyboard and 10-key calculator skills
- Microsoft Office Suite; Emphasis on Excel, Word & Outlook, electronic filing (Work smarter, not harder...use tools)
- Organizational skills
- Prioritization skills – Ability to switch between tasks
- Analytical skills
- Reconciliation skills
- Communication skills
- Willingness to learn & work as part of a team
- Meet deadlines
The job is performed indoors in a cubicle office setting. Activities include extended periods of sitting and extensive work at a computer monitor.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Ability to communicate orally with management and other co-workers is crucial. Regular use of the telephone and e-mail for communication is essential. Sitting for extended periods and the use of hands to finger is common. Hearing and vision within normal ranges is helpful for normal conversations, to receive ordinary information and to prepare or inspect documents.
No heavy lifting is expected. Exertion of up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally may be required. While performing the duties of this job, good manual dexterity for the use of common office equipment such as computer terminals, calculator, copiers, and FAX machines is required. The employee is occasionally required to walk, climb, balance, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl.
Some travel and overnight travel may be expected.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Job Type: Full-time
- Accounting: 1 year (Required)
- Bachelor's (Required)