Sr. Financial Analyst - Central Finance Office Job Opening
Sr. Financial Analyst - Central Finance Office
University of Miami• Coral Gables, Florida
Where Excellence Meets Purpose
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful purpose to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The University has been named on Forbes's Best Employers list for two consecutive years, and is the only university in Florida to receive this honor.
As a division of the Office of the Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, the Office of Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) has as its general responsibility, the planning and stewardship of the financial resources of UM. Specifically, the major activities of FP&A are strategic financial planning, directing the University’s $3.3 billion annual budget to its highest priorities, financial reporting and analysis, and overall decision support.
The Sr. Financial Analyst reports to the Sr. Finance Manager of Financial Planning and Analysis and assists with the strategic financial planning for UM capital expenditures. The Sr. Financial Analyst has exceptional analytical, communication and interpersonal skills as well as strong organizational and time management capabilities. Possesses the ability to present business information to senior administration in a manner easily understood by non-financial professionals. This individual will also have an understanding of financial applications and creation of financial reporting specifically in the area of capital expenditures. An attention to detail and insistence on the accuracy, timeliness, reliability, and usefulness of business information will be important characteristics. Serves as a resource for other departments in financial and business planning. Assists with the interpretation of financial metrics and supports any implementation plan process which is based on such metrics.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
- Conducts in-depth capital expenditures analyses intended to support decision making by executive leadership of the University.
- Assists in building and maintaining capital related financial models with the use of advanced MS Excel formulas and within Tidemark, the University’s budget & modeling application.
- Assists with the development of financial plans and incremental cost/benefit analysis; as a key component of the budgeting process, assists with the implementation of systems that report on key financial ratios, metrics and benchmarking criteria; together with the Sr. Finance Manager, prepares and periodically updates long range financial projections.
- Presents business applications to varied audiences in a manner clearly understandable by non-technical managers.
- Extracts data from various business application systems, provides detailed analysis of the data at the University, division and department levels and interpret the data. Presents information at all levels to the University Budget Executive Director and the Associate Vice President for ultimate distribution to senior leadership.
- Analyzes and coordinates the distribution of a variety of capital data and relevant reports in a clear, concise and timely manner; routinely performs variance and historical analysis; creates financial, transactional and ad-hoc reports as needed.
- Prepares a standard reporting package incorporating key capital operating measures; presents forecasts of expected actual performance against plan and/or prior periods.
- Assists with the development of capital annual budgets and quarterly and annual forecasts.
- Assists with the monthly management closing process.
- Supports the Manager and the Executive Director operationally and with other projects as needed.
Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or related field is required. A Master’s degree is preferred.
Minimum 3 years of relevant experience. Five or more years of experience is highly preferred. Experience in Capital Planning is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Skill in collecting, organizing, and analyzing data.
- Ability to recognize, analyze, and solve a variety of problems.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in making critical decisions.
- Excellent communication skills – both written (narrative, tabular and graphical) and oral are critical.
- Strong background with computer application systems and financial analytical skills.
- Ability to work in a complex environment with the skills to manage multiple projects and deadlines, establish priorities, set objectives, and achieve stated goals.
- Ability to work as a team or independently.
- Appreciation for organizational subtleties and a high level of discretion.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.
Job Status:Full time