Medicare Cost Accountant III Job Opening
Medicare Cost Accountant III
BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina• Columbia, South Carolina
Monitor and/or reconcile assigned general ledger accounts of a complex nature, process complex accounting activity, resolve variances, and/or document procedures to ensure accuracy of accounting information and/or financial reports, and/or compliance with established rules and/or regulations. Provide functional advice and/or training to less experienced accountants.
- 30% Prepares daily and/or monthly account reconciliations of a complex nature. Ensures work conforms to all contract/business regulations and/or instructions as well as generally accepted accounting principles, federal acquisition regulations, cost accounting standards and/or departmental policies. Maintains the General Ledger, processes the journal entries and/or generates the financial reports.
- 30% Reviews, analyzes, and/or verifies complex accounting and/or system transactions. Identifies resolves and/or documents variances, and/or provides accounting information to operational areas to help them identify and/or resolve problems. Supports the month end, quarter end and/or year end close activities in accordance with internal procedures and/or established timelines.
- 25% Completes assigned reports in accordance with established due dates and/or produces management reports for cost behavior, trends, variances, and/or other pertinent information applicable to the given line of business. Reconciles General Ledger accounts and/or processes adjusting entries in accordance with internal procedures, maintaining compliance with applicable regulations. Reviews and/or provides support to related account reconciliation activities performed in other accounting areas (subsidiary ledgers).
- 10% May maintain current work instructions for all activities in the area. Reviews all departmental policies, procedures, and/or forms used by the department to identify areas of potential improvement in those documents. Suggests updates and/or improvements in those documents or prepare a preliminary draft of the policies including the updates or improvements as necessary.
- 5% Assists Supervisor with special projects. Interfaces with internal and/or external audit agencies. Provides guidance and/or training to other accountants. Consults with other areas and/or gives advice on complex accounting principles.
Required Education :
- Bachelor's degree Accounting OR
- Related degree with 24 semester hours in accounting. (Anyone hired prior to August 1, 2008 in an accounting position only requires 21 semester hours of accounting.)
Required Work Experience :
- Five years of professional accounting experience.
Required Skills and Abilities :
- Comprehensive knowledge of fundamental accounting concepts, practices and procedures.
- Excellent communication, organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently.
Required Software :
- Microsoft Office.
- Strong Microsoft Access skills.
- VBA skills.
We participate in E-Verify and comply with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina and our subsidiary companies maintain a continuing policy of nondiscrimination in employment to promote employment opportunities for persons regardless of age, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, veteran status, disability, weight, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other legally protected status. Additionally, as a federal contractor, the company maintains Affirmative Action programs to promote employment opportunities for minorities, females, disabled individuals and veterans. It is our policy to provide equal opportunities in all phases of the employment process and to comply with applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with physical and mental disabilities.
If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please e-mail [email protected] or call 1-800-288-2227, ext. 43172 with the nature of your request. We will make a determination regarding your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.