Business Manager Job Opening
The University of Mississippi• University, Mississippi
Definition of Class
This position manages the business affairs of a large department or school. The incumbent provides financial and administrative support services for the business aspects of the facilities operations. The incumbent exercises discretion and independent judgment.
Examples of Work Performed
- Work closely with the College leadership and the accountant to plan and monitor the budgets of the Office of the Dean by preparing financial reports and making recommendations to the College leadership;
- Forecast and monitor all funding sources;
- Perform special research and make recommendations as needed;
- Assist in planning and implementing office policies and procedures in the Office of the Dean;
- Work with the College units (21 departments; 13 interdisciplinary programs; and 14 centers and institutes) to develop their annual operational planning requests, course fee requests, scholarship awards, new faculty hire letters & startup packages, and salary raise pool requests;
- Assist units in strategic budget planning;
- Work closely with accountant to monitor and analyze income and expenses of departments;
- Work closely with College leadership to evaluate funding requests from units or individuals;
- Assist with Dean's office staff hiring, training and development; and
- Help coordinate Dean's office staff activities to ensure efficient and effective work by all.
- Performs similar or related duties as assigned or required.
These essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following. Additional essential functions may be identified and included by the hiring department.
- Manages the business and financial affairs of a large department or school.
- Prepares reports and financial statements.
- Assists with the planning for and preparation of contracts and grants.
- Ensures compliance with University policies and procedures.
- Supervises and directs the activities of a support staff.
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or a related field.
Four (4) years of experience related to the above described duties.
Related experience may be substituted for education, on a basis set forth and approved by the Department of Human Resources.
To learn more about our pay structure and view our salary ranges, click here to visit the Compensation page of our Human Resources website. This link is provided for general pay information. Hourly rate or salary may vary depending on qualifications, experience, and departmental budget. Note: Unclassified positions (faculty, executives, researchers and coaches) do not have established salary ranges.
The University of Mississippi complies with all applicable laws regarding equal opportunity and affirmative action and does not unlawfully discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or genetic information.
Background Check Statement
The University of Mississippi is committed to providing a safe campus community. UM conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.